Thursday, October 7, 2010

Reflections on “Face of a Spider” by David Quammen


     One lesson we can learn from Quammen’s reflections is to respect others’ cultures and unique differences between people. This is an important lesson, for without respect, we can not learn to see the similarities that bind us all together, and we would only see what can divide us. And this brings us to the next lesson, equality. There is no hierarchy between beings, the only hierarchy that is there is one created by us. No one is better or above others. When you have this basic foundation, you can become diverse in culture and more connected through ideas. A truly deep connection between all living things is expands and develops.
     On a more personal level, another lesson we can learn from Mr. Quammen’s reflections is always ask yourself “what are my biases or ideas that I already have in my head about the person or thing in front of me? How did those biases or ideas get in my head?” This leads us to another lesson, which is to be honest with yourself about your own biases, face them and deal with them. Only by acknowledging them can we overcome them. Lastly, Mr. Quammen’s reflections can teach us to learn to walk-our-talk, to be self-critical of what we think and how we behave based on those thoughts.
     Fear is a strong, vibrant, emotion caused by something we are afraid of; the unknown. The less we know about something, the more afraid and scared we become of it. The best way to respond to fear of someone or something different is to face it head on, to be eye-to-eye with it. Only then can we really “see” it. We can learn to respond to people or things in a more empathetic way, by putting ourselves in their shoes and truly trying to see where they’re coming from.
     My family tries to live by a motto that we’ve been adding words to since I was a baby. When someone in the family wants to add a word to the motto, we vote on it. Here is our life motto: To live a live based on Love, Compassion, Empathy, Respect, Reciprocity, Tolerance, Thankfulness, Joy and Validation! Our rule of thumb is that if something is not life-affirming then we don’t do it or say it! I believe that living these words is a great way to respond to people or things that are different, foreign, strange or even scary.

     

2 comments:

  1. Here's a link to my response to your post:
    http://michiganftw.blogspot.com/2010/10/my-buddy-cristian-with-c.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going over some older posts, and found Amber's response, which brought me back here. Your call to empathy (which she quoted) gets a twenty-minute standing ovation from me. You're wise beyond your years my friend...

    ReplyDelete